Quantification of the elemental and isotopic composition with a lateral resolution of 2 µm
Specific information on the method:
- Depth information with a depth resolution of 2 nm
- limit of detection down to < 1ppb (< 1 ng/g)
- maximal lateral resolution 2 µm
- elements: H – U (no noble gases)
- high mass resolution
- Reproducibility < 0.5 %
Specific information on the equipment/instrumentation:
Measurement in UHV. Point- line- and area analysis as well as element specific ion microscopy.
Coupling to the 6 MV tandem accelerator under construction
Polished samples (1 inch in diameter) – after careful investigation by optical and electron microscopy and electron microprobe (major elements).
Suitable for vacuum stable solids, conductive samples as well as insulators, all samples will be covered by a thin Au-layer.
- Samples stable under UHV conditions
- Availability of matrix-matched standards
- Elements and isotopes measurable according to mass resolution and interferences
- Sufficient ionization yield for negative ions (for Super-SIMS)
Examples of typical analytical questions:
– Determination of ultratrace element distribution in all types of synthetic and natural materials
Fields of research:
- Materials for energy storage, ceramics, electronic materials,
- Natural and synthetic minerals
- Resource technology